A classic flavour combo with a modern Hempy twist
Carrot and Orange – what a classic!! We have adapted this traditional flavour pairing to include some hearty, wholesome and healthy Hemp inside!!
An original recipe from our in-house baker Jess, we’d love to see any Hempy bake creations you come up with using #thehempshopbakes on social media!
4 medium carrots grated
125ml Hempseed oil
175g light brown sugar
2tsp vanilla essence
300ml oat/almond milk
275g plain flour
(swap with coconut flour if you want to make it gluten free!)
100g hemp flour
2tsp baking powder
1 1/2tsp baking soda
2tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground nutmeg
1tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
50g shelled hemp seeds
½ orange zest ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
– Set oven to 180c and grease two medium size cake tins
– Whisk the oil, sugar, vanilla and orange zest until combined, then whisk in the milk and add the carrots
– Sieve together the plain flour, hemp flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt
– Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and fold in the shelled hemp seeds and walnuts
– Bake for 15-20mins or until a knife comes out clear
350g dairy free margarine
380g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream the margarine in a bowl on a low speed until creamy.
When your margarine is smooth, creamy and light in colour, carefully sift in the icing sugar and drizzle in the vanilla extract. Whizz together until fluffy and fully combined.
Carefully dollop the mixture into a piping bag and start icing.
To make the Carrots; Make a thick fondant like icing with icing cuar and water, add some orange food dye, and let your imagination run wild!
To make the Carrot Balls; Get some of your cake crumbs and some frosting and roll into a ball, roll the balls in nuts and allow to set in the fridge